Call for Applications – WACCBIP Introduces New Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
The WACCBIP-Wellcome Trust DELTAS programme is seeking young African scientists to work as postdoctoral fellows in an environment that promotes the development of leadership skills and networking with other scientists in Africa. As a new centre of excellence for biomedical research, WACCBIP will generate tremendous research activities through the various graduate training programmes. The centre and its partners will therefore, provide a well-resourced research environment to promote the research careers of newly graduated PhDs. WACCBIP is co-hosted by the Department of Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology (BCMB) and the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR), University of Ghana, and has several regional and international partner institutions.
To apply for this fellowship, you must:
1. Be an African who receivedhis/her PhD degree within the last three years and interested in developing a research career in the biosciences in Africa.
2. Develop a comprehensive postdoctoral research proposal that can be completed within 2-3years.
3. Be highly motivated individual interested in developing novel research directions.
4. Work with minimal supervision and have a high standard for research ethics.
5. Be interested in workingon one of the following priority disease areas and research themes:
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Chronic Kidney disease
- Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease
- Protozoan pathogens – Malaria, Trypanosomiasis
- Fungal pathogens – Cryptococcosis, Candidiasis
- Helminths – Schistosomiasis, Onchocerciasis, Soil-transmitted helminths
- Mycobacteria – Tuberculosis, Buruli ulcer
- Other Bacterial Pathogens –Gastro-intestinal and blood infections
- Viruses – HIV/AIDS, Ebola (EBVD), rotaviral infections, Influenza, Dengue fever
- Human genetics
- Disease pathogenesis and immunity
- Pathogen genomics/Bioinformatics
- Host-pathogen interactions
- Molecular epidemiology
- Target discovery for drug and vaccine development
The candidate will have the options of working at the following institutions across Africa
|West African Centre for Cell Biology ofInfectious Pathogens (WACCBIP)
|Malaria Research and Training Center at the
University of Science, Techniques, and
|Medical Research Unit, Fajara||The Gambia|
|Kenya Medical Research Institute, Killifi
Kenya Medical Research Institute,Kisumu
The successful postdoctoral fellow will be expected to perform the following responsibilities:
– Conduct high quality research leading to the publication of at least 2 papers
– Contribute to the training of graduate students
– Compete for external funding to pursue new research projects
– Contribute to research capacity building at their host research laboratories
The successful post doctoral fellow will be supported with up to $150,000 to cover:
– A monthly salary
– Research supplies and reagents
– Conference grant
– Other related costs
Please download full fellowship application forms here.
Deadline for applications is 30th November 2015.