Call for Travelling Fellowships
The Company of Biologists’ journals – Journal of Cell Science, Development, Disease Models & Mechanisms (DMM) and The Journal of Experimental Biology – is offering fellowships of up to £2,500 to graduate students and post-doctoral researchers wishing to make collaborative visits to other laboratories. These are designed to offset the cost of travel and other expenses. There is no restriction on nationality.
Applicants’ field of research should be consistent with the journal to which they intend applying and also the visiting laboratory. Applicants will be selected based on their academic and research excellence and the relevance and innovative quality of the work to be done.
- Only one person per laboratory may apply for funding per funding round, per journal
- Applications are strictly limited to one journal only per round of funding per person
- The date of travel must occur within six months of funding being awarded
- Applications will not be considered retrospectively
- Funds are not provided to attend training courses
- The application form and all supporting documents must be completed in English
- Travelling Fellowships can only be awarded once every two years from any of The Company’s journals per applicant
- Expenses include travel, subsistence, accommodation, visa fees and bench fees
- Travel insurance costs are not to be included in the expenses
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Letters of support from your Head of Department and Supervisor*
- A letter of support from your host laboratory**
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publication list
- If possible, please merge your application and documents into one PDF document.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the criteria required for a Fellowship.
- Incomplete applications will be returned.
* Please note if your Head of Department is also your Supervisor, two letters should be written, one in each capacity.
** Please note that letters of support must be in English and on an institutional letter head and signed.
The deadlines for application forms to be submitted are:
- 30 April
- 31 August
- 31 December
Additional post award conditions:
- Please provide a 250–500 word summary of the results obtained from your visit, within three months, for publication on our website.
- If for any reason you do not carry out your collaborative visit or it is delayed beyond six months of the award, please notify us by email to the Charity Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also arrange for the Travelling Fellowship funds to be returned in full.
Download application form HERE